Welcome to Eco Open Houses Online!
With COP26 (the UN Climate Change Conference in Glasgow) coming up and Brighton & Hove aiming to be carbon neutral by 2030, the more residents can learn about how to make their homes sustainable, the better chance we have of mitigating the effects of climate change.
As well, for many, September is the start of the 'heating season' and with energy prices rising, this is a good time to think about how you can:
- Make your home more efficient
- Healthier to live in
- Reduce your fuel bills
- Reduce your carbon emissions and help to tackle climate change.
Eco Open Houses Online can help, with a series of virtual events, resources and a retrofit course. The events are running from Monday 20th to Friday 1st October.
The Eco Open Houses Online events are:
- Eco Open Houses: visit a number of virtual eco open houses in Brighton & Hove that have fitted energy efficiency measures and renewable energy systems.
- Webinars: join a series of free webinars with expert speakers on Greening your home, airtightness, heat pumps and solid wall insulation.
- Course: learn all about retrofit on a free short course focussing on different topics, including Ventilation, Insulation and Airtightness.
Eco Open Houses Online overview
Whether you’re a home owner, a tenant, a builder, or just curious; come and get inspired at an Eco Open House virtually opening near you!
In case studies and short films, householders share practical ways to reduce energy use, water use and carbon emissions.
This year eight buildings will be opening. These include:
- 5 retrofitted homes
- 1 new built home
- An apartment block
- A community centre
- An ex-toilet converted into an eco office in Portland Road!
To access the Eco Open Houses click here. Please note that you wil have to register as a user to access.
Eco Open Houses Online webinars
Alongside visiting the Eco Open Houses, gain insights from webinars with expert speakers on Greening Your Home, external wall insulation, airtightness and heat pumps.
To book a place on the webinars, follow the links below.
- Greening Our Homes by Hanover Action on 20th September at 5pm. To book this webinar click here.
- Solid Wall Insulation by Bob Prewett on 22nd September at 5pm. To read more about this webinar click here.
- Case study of an air-source heat pump in a mid-terrace home by Trystan Lea on 27th September at 5pm. To read more about this webinar click here.
- Airtightness in retrofit by Paul Jennings on 29th September at 5pm. To read more about this webinar click here.
Eco Open Houses retrofit training course
This short course introduces a range of things to think about when retrofitting your home. The course is a series of short films covering:
- Whole house retrofit
- Patterns of energy use
- Survey tools
There are other resources as well and an activity to help you identify what to do and the next steps. In total the course should take 3 to 4 hours to complete.
To access the Eco Open Houses Retrofit course click here. Please note that you wil have to register as a user to access.
About Eco Open Houses Online
Eco Open Houses this year is being run in partnership with Hanover Action. The event is dedicated to the memories of Jonathan Best and Flemmich Webb.
An archive of previous events can be found here.
Eco Open Houses Online this year has been funded by Brighton & Hove City Council Communities Fund’s Carbon Reduction Fund: