Earthship Brighton embodies the five core elements of sustainable construction to create a building with outstanding 'green' credentials.
The five core elements are:
- Use of low impact materials in construction - using local, recycled, waste, natural and renewable materials
- Passive solar design - enjoying the sun's free energy for space heating
- Renewable energy - zero fossil fuel consumption for day-to-day running with on-site generation of power for electricity and water heating
- Rainwater harvesting - free water from the skies with no mains connection and subsequent groundwater depletion
- Using plants to treat waste water - no sewage infrastructure with on-site 'waste water' treatment using plants and natural processes.