Learn how to build with straw bales; a cheap, natural, healthy and low impact way of making your own home! This three-day course is run at Earthship Brighton in partnership with Brighton Permaculture Trust. The course dates are:
- Friday 3rd, Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th April
- Friday 17th, Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th July
The course is for anyone interested in building with straw bales and is designed to inspire you and give you the basic skills required for this method of construction. It covers building walls with straw bales, basic carpentry and plastering / rendering.
Building with Straw bales outline
The course is very practical and over 3 days we build a small straw bale house upto the top plate. We use hand tools and basic power tools. People of all ages and abilities are welcome. During the course you will learn:
- How to build & work with straw bales, including shaping, cutting & tying
- Basic designing of a straw bale house
- Detailing for doors, windows & roof structures
- Different foundation methods
- Plastering & rendering with natural finishes
Straw bales tutor
Ian Brown of TimberBale is the main tutor. Ian has been teaching low impact building and sustainable construction for many years. He currently teaches construction at Sussex Downs College in Eastbourne. Ian has built various low impact projects and specialises in straw bale building.